Greetings, and Welcome to The Small Shoppe

After the example of my Chestertonian mentor, Dr. R. Kenton Craven, I here offer my ponderings and musings for your edification and/or education.

You are welcome to read what is written here, and encouraged to do so. Appropriate comments may well be posted.

Michael Francis James Lee
The Not-so-Small Shoppe-Keeper

Monday, June 20, 2011

Then again...

"Show yourself in all respects a model of good deeds, and in your teaching show integrity, gravity, and sound speech that cannot be censured, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say of us." Titus 2:7-8

Over this past weekend, as I've read, prayed, and most importantly listened with regard to the "Fr. Corapi / Black Sheepdog" matter, I have arrived at some points for reflection. One of the most interesting things I have read with regard to this present concern is a blog entry by Fr. Corapi's former Bishop and the Episcopal Founder of the S.O.L.T. to which he belongs. The Bishop's post may be found at: http://www.sanctepater.com/2011/06/thoughts-on-father-corapi-by-bishop.html.

Here are the reflection points to which I am drawn:

1. Much of my initial reaction to Fr. Corapi's "Black Sheepdog" announcement is expressive of my pain at "losing him." As I've mentioned, his preaching was instrumental in my "re-version" to the Catholic Church.

2. Much of my negative reaction to the "Black Sheepdog" moniker is an emotional response to what I continue to view as a dark and "creepy" image of some visually nondescript beast staring at sheep. My reaction to the name also fails to take into account the fact that Fr. Corapi has frequently used "special forces/military" language in his public expressions.

3. I have assumed that Fr. Corapi's statement meant that he was leaving the Catholic Church, and formally renouncing the priesthood. In fairness, his actual words do not explicitly state either of these things.

4. I was, until today, not aware that Fr. Corapi had initiated a civil suit against the woman who has become his principal accuser. It is at least possible that this civil action may result in his vindication. He would be unable to continue the civil suit while at the same time defending himself in an ecclesial proceeding, as the ecclesial process requires that no "pressures" such as civil litigation be applied against any "witnesses."

5. As some others have stated, there is so much here that we do not know, that it is inherently foolish and dangerous to engage in deep commentary and speculation.

6. There is much in Fr. Corapi's statement which can be, and no doubt is being used to attack the Church and her bishops. This is a direction in which no Faithful Catholic may follow. We must pray for Fr. Corapi; he is a priest forever -- and thus, as others have said, he is a target of Satan until the moment of his death.

7. As long as Fr. Corapi makes it abundantly clear that he is not speaking or ministering as a priest (which point he is certainly making), he is canonically free to speak in accord with the Truth; no Catholic is forbidden from doing such.

8. There is much about Fr. Corapi's present methodology that causes me to wince. I must resist the temptation to allow those things to cause me to reject or condemn.

9. Our Church, our Holy Father, our Bishops, our Priests, our Deacons, and our Religious are all under constant Satanic attack. On any day in which we fail to earnestly pray for them, we fail in our responsibilities as Faithful Catholics.

10. "I have often regretted speaking too much, but have never regretted holding my tongue." -St. Arsenius, The Great

1 comment:

  1. Again, my inclination on this is to avoid public comment of any kind because none of us knows enough to judge, reach any conclusions, or. . . or what? I simply want to avoid . . . commentary. I have always liked Father Corapi and now wish him well. And pray for him.

    ReplyDelete